Monday, September 15, 2014

Our Nursery

*I know, it's been forever since I've updated the blog. In theory I'd like to do it a little more... but in reality it becomes the very last thing on my plate each and every day. I'd like to say that I'll post once in a while just to keep a record of what we do to the house. I really enjoy looking back over the last few years to see the dramatic changes we've made so far, so I'd like to keep up with it in a minimal way just to keep that going.

With that being said...

I would like to introduce our nursery!



*Disclaimer: The "after" photos are about 1.5 years old, taken just after Mia was born! It still looks about the same but we've added some blankets, and made some minor adjustments. I wanted to record the "original" nursery here for posterity.

So almost 5 years ago, we started with a basic box of a room. It was painted bright colors, and had wall-to-wall purple carpet. I saw potential!



First we ripped out the carpet, then we refinished the floors for the whole upstairs. For a couple years afterwards, the room became a dumping grounds for all sorts of mish/mash, hardware, storage, etc. Then we cleaned it out and it was our spare furniture storage closet. Then it became my workroom for painting furniture.

We knew this room would someday be a nursery. Months before I was pregnant I decided to just go ahead and paint the walls and trim. I just wanted a semi-finished space and I was sick of looking at this lilac and teal horror show.

Because we knew this would be the "someday" nursery I strategized about the paint color - nothing too girly or boyish. I picked a pale aqua - of course with white trim. I think we succeeded in making this room unisex. I assumed the addition of toys, blankets, etc, that we were sure to receive after the birth would make it lean girly or boyish but I like that all the foundation pieces of this room could go either way.

Incidentally, my insane nesting instinct went into overdrive those last few months of pregnancy. This is the only room in the house that I am still 100% satisfied with. It is the only room in the house I feel is "done"...










Sources:
Wall paint: Benjamin Moore Aura matte - color-matched "Pianissimo 7005-20" from Valspar
Trim paint: Benjamin Moore Ben semi gloss "Decorator's White"
Ceiling paint: Benjamin Moore Ben matte "Decorator's White"
Floor: Oak finished in MinWax Jacobean
Rug: Urban Outfitters Herringbone Rug - Grey
Dresser, Mirror, Nightstand: Vintage 1950's painted Benjamin Moore Aura satin "Stonington Gray"
Crib: DaVinci Jenny Lind - ebony finish
Ceiling light: Overstock Luray semi-flush fixture
Window Shades: Pottery Barn Grosgrain Ribbon Cordless - black
Chair: Buy Buy Baby upholstered rocker/recliner - ivory with black piping (custom order, not available on website)
Pouf: Etsy seller BobbleKnit
Table lamp: HomeGoods
Laundry Basket: HomeGoods
Paintings: original, IKEA Ribba frames
Bedding and changing pad cover: Land of Nod Aqua Diamonds collection (no longer available)
Bins: Lowes, not available on website
Rocking Dog: Restoration Hardware "Shaggy"
Large elephant paintings: my own originals. 
Small desert paintings: paint-by-numbers from the 1950s - found in another old piece of furniture.
Most of the small toys and baby items are gifts

Can't believe how that little girl has grown in the past year and a half!


No comments:

Post a Comment