Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Our Baby Boy Nursery


Louis is nearly 2.5 years old and I’ve been meaning for some time to document his nursery. He is transitioning from baby to little boy and someday soon I’ll forget what it was like when we had a crib in his room and how I would sit him atop his changing table each evening to change him into his pajamas. 

We did not find out Louis’ gender while I was pregnant and I wasn’t really sure how to decorate the nursery. I had painted the room navy blue a few years before. I liked the navy but kept thinking I should do something different for a baby (whether boy or girl) and considered switching to grey, cream, or a light blue. These early months of fretting soon gave way to laziness and I decided nothing was as exciting enough of a change to bother painting it another color. John seemed to be in agreement. We shrugged and went with it, and I’m glad we did because I’m still really into this room.


So we had the navy wall color, then I figured into the equation the key “building blocks” to the room… black crib (repurposed from Mia’s nursery), cream upholstered rocker with black piping (also from Mia’s nursery) and a black antique dresser that had stood empty in the room since I had painted it a few years before.

I added grey/white bedding and punched it up a bit with the teal striped rug and small teal side table.


The changing table is the vanity from my grandmother's bedroom set. The grey chevron changing pad matches the bedding we purchased on Amazon. The wall hanging is from Urban Outfitters, which is my secret resource for cool kids room decorations.


The built-in shelves house a collection of favorite bedtime books, the teal containers (Amazon) conceal practical baby supplies and memorabilia. The floor baskets (Target) are a convenient place to toss toys for a quick clean-up.


The dresser, above, is circa 1950s and painted black a few years back. My father's jersey hangs proudly in a shadowbox frame.


The crib, a black Jenny Lind style, is still my favorite. That was a good choice for Mia -- and now Louis. Grey chevron bedding ordered on Amazon. The blanket was lovingly knit by my niece and Louis sleeps every night curled inside it. The cordless, pale grey shades block the light, and were a steal (JCPenney - my secret source for roman shades). The chair was moved over from Mia's nursery and I spent many nights sleeping there when Louis was an infant. The striped rug was another Amazon purchase.


I can already picture this room transitioning into his “big boy” bedroom one day. It’s so cliche, but where did the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment