Monday, February 8, 2010

Dining room

I've been thinking about the dining room... so many ideas running through my head - so many things to find! So little time and money. But someday.

In the meantime I can dream... I put together an inspiration board of all my favorite ideas:

Clockwise from bottom left
- Let's start with the table: I don't like the idea of a "dining room set" - the traditional matchy-matchy table, chairs, and hutch just doesn't do it for me! I'm dreaming of a light tone wooden table. Something rustic, but not too crazy. I'm still on the search for an affordable version of this farm table from Oly Studio or a Parsons style table in the same greyed wood tone.
- Can't decide between a ubiquitous white slipper chair or something a little more avant-garde, like the metal and leather combo also from Oly Studio.
- This Circa Lighting chandelier has all the right curves. Plus the smoky half-transparent glass - ooh lala!
- Something dramatic for the windows - a long drape with over-sized print like the green and cream medallion print from Ballard Design, or a teardrop shape print from Madeline Weinrib.
- I have a nearly identical "credenza" (as Grandma always said!). It has a crazy quatrefoil cut-out design on the front doors, and it has a more dining-room-appropriate cabinet door front instead of drawers. It will need to be refinished/painted to blend in with this lighter color scheme. Right now it's a "70's dark wood" and is being used to hold up our living room tv. Hopefully this will change soon!
- I think a large hammered metal tray on the aforementioned credenza will be the perfect place to set up a little bar.
- Instead of worrying about keeping fresh flowers, a white ceramic planter with some funky succulents will do.
- To add a little sparkle, I'm including these lovely crystal candlesticks from Tiffany and my Crate and Barrel flatware (two awesome gifts from my bridal shower!)

In the meantime, we've finished painting the walls. Inquiring minds want to know - It's Balboa Mist from Benjamin Moore in Matte Aura.

1 comment:

  1. i say - go for 2 white slipper chairs and 4 of the metal - ooh la la!

    ReplyDelete